UPSes - MinuteMan, others?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 18:13:01 EDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Mike Medai <mikemedai at netscape.net> wrote:
> Tripp Lite also makes these:
> http://www.tripplite.com/products/conditioners/index.cfm

  We actually have some units very like that in use now.  They're APC,
but same idea.  What these particular devices do is provide a
multi-tap transformer which automatically switches taps based on the
input voltage.  For example, if the input drops below 110 VAC, switch
in a 8% step-up; if it drops below 105 VAC, switch in a 12% step-up.
You can actually hear the relays clicking as they switch taps.  They
throw in some basic TVSS and noise filtering circuits, too.

  I suspect this type of device is perfect for situations where line
voltage is consistently out of tolerance by a certain amount.
However, they do not provide isolation from line transients or noise,
nor can they cope with severe undervoltages (< 95 VAC or so).  We have
both here.  Sometimes, when everything else is running and then the
big mill kicks in, the lights go out for a fraction of a second.

  The nature of these voltage regulators also means the regulation is
somewhat approximate -- there are typically only three or four taps,
and it takes time to switch taps.  I'm not sure how much that really
matters, but given that some of this test equipment costs > $100,000,
I'm willing to pay to get "perfect" conditioning.  :-)

  The Tripp Lite "Smart Online" series (see posts by Jared Watkins and
Jim Kuzdrall) does look like it might fit the bill.

-- Ben