UPSes - MinuteMan, others?

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Fri Aug 11 13:45:01 EDT 2006

Ben Scott wrote:

>  I often wonder why the IT industry doesn't come up with something
> along those lines.  While redundant-everything is more then most
> people want, the flow of power is much more appropriate.  With a
> conventional setup, we convert from AC to DC to AC to DC, as we go
> from line to UPS to computer power supply to computer.  It would be
> nice if we could leave the inverter out, leave the PC PSU out, and
> just go from AC to DC in the UPS, and then run DC directly into the
> PC.  Less heat, less space, more efficiency, longer runtimes.  I'm
> sure if, say, APC teamed up with Dell, they could make quite a
> killing.

I've seen rackmount servers on eBay in the past that were DC-powered;
I imagine they were probably the same thing you're describing here.
If I recall correctly, they were Sun Netra 1U servers.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9