UPSes - MinuteMan, others?

Dave Johnson dave-gnhlug at davej.org
Fri Aug 11 19:23:00 EDT 2006

Ben Scott writes:
>   I suspect this type of device is perfect for situations where line
> voltage is consistently out of tolerance by a certain amount.
> However, they do not provide isolation from line transients or noise,
> nor can they cope with severe undervoltages (< 95 VAC or so).  We have
> both here.  Sometimes, when everything else is running and then the
> big mill kicks in, the lights go out for a fraction of a second.

If the motor is powerful enough to brown out everything else in your
building when it starts up chances are the transformer feeding the
building can't handle the startup load and is under powered for your
needs.

An electrician can hookup monitoring equipment to watch the
current/voltage of your feed or just the circuit to the motor and see
if this is the case.

Your utility can replace the transformer with a bigger one, but that
may cost money and downtime.

This won't solve everthing, but it's just another area to explore.

--
Dave