Easy to use CAD / architectural design sw suggestions?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 21:03:01 EDT 2006

On 8/13/06, Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> wrote:
> I'm sure it is that I am a total novice at this...  I go to the
> directory where I have the source installed and execute
>
> grep -rn "-pedantic" *
>
> grep tells me:
> grep: invalid option -- p
> Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
> Try `grep --help' for more information.

  Someone told you to run a command that won't work.  Because the
string you're searching for, "-pedantic", is prefixed with a dash,
grep tries to interpret it as an option switch, like "-rn" is.  So it
complains that "-p" is an invalid option.  Try this:

grep -rn -- -pedantic

Two bare dashes in a row (--) is the de facto standard way to tell a
Unix/Linux command that no more options are coming, and any and all
additional arguments should be treated as non-option arguments.  So
grep knows that you're asking to search for "-pedantic".

  Hope this helps,

-- Ben