Exchange Killer?

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Mon Aug 14 19:31:00 EDT 2006

klussier at comcast.net wrote:
> A lot of people have looked for an open source "Exchange Killer". It
> has always ended up being a bunch of open source projects cobbled
t> ogether, and never "quite enough". I have been using Scalix for
> corporate e-mail for about a year now, and most of my users don't know
> that they aren't using Exchange. It's a proprietary system based on HP
> OpenMail, and it works great. It has everything that Exchange has by way
> of features, but since it's running on Linux, and also impliments some
> open source tools, it fits perfectly into an existing non-MS
> environment. It can authenticate against my existing OpenLDAP server, etc.
>
> There are several versions of Scalix:
> 1) Enterprise Edition - All features (Premium User Licenses)
> 2) Small Business - All features except for multi-server and HA.
> 3) Community Edition - All features for 25 "Premium Users", unlimited
> Standard Users have access to basic features (no group calendars,
> Outlook Access, etc.)
> 4) Community Edition Raw - Bleeding edge code available for multiple
> distro's (debian, Centos, etc.)
>
> I just received the monthly news letter from them, and they had a link
> to an interesting press release:
>
> Linux Email Leader Scalix Announces Plans to Make Community Edition an
> Open Source Project :
> http://www.scalix.com/news/release45.html
>
> So, the basic fuctionality will be Open Sourced, allowing people access to
> the code that allows for Exchange functionality. Could this be the Exchange
> Killer that we have all been looking for?

I've had a few Outlook users asking about Outlook Forms, which as far
as I can tell is something that requires an Exchange server. Does the
new release of Scalix support Outlook Forms?

Currently we use a collection of MS Word and MS Excel templates for our
standard forms - expense vouchers, vacation requests, etc. Our European
counterparts have their stanadard forms embedded in Outlook.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9