SLUG (UNH) meeting notes for Mon 15 Aug 2006

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 19:53:01 EDT 2006

  Last night (Mon 14 Aug 2006), the Seacoast LUG (SLUG, Durham/UNH)
held their regular meeting, like clockwork, as always.  Eight
attended.  We had It was an "open discussion" night.  The topics were
many and varried.  Just some of the topics included: VoIP, GNHLUG
organization, sound (including ALSA and sound servers), window
managers and desktop environments, Postfix, Debian, Gentoo, kernel
configuration, FreeBSD, motorcycles, Python, laptop CD drives, video
conferencing, and Lojban.  There was some Q&A, some good-nature
debate, and some hands-on stuff.  At one point, Gus and David had an
active thing going with a couple of laptops, a cell phone, and some
kind of VoIP thing.

  Next month's SLUG meeting is scheduled for Mon 11 Sep 2006, and will
feature Cole Tuininga presenting on Myghty.  Myghty is an HTML/web
template framework, inspired by Perl's Mason, and implemented in
Python.  I saw Cole present on this at PySIG, and it was interesting.
If you're a Python fan, and you're working on a website, it's worth
checking out, especially if you feel things like Zope are too heavy.

  We also have a tentative topic for the month after (Mon 9 Oct)!
Dave Montenegro (I hope I got the name right) is Lojban enthusiast,
and may be able to present on it.  "Lojban is a carefully constructed
spoken language designed in the hope of removing a large portion of
the ambiguity from human communication" (from http://www.lojban.org/).
 What does Lojban have to do with Linux?  Absolutely nothing!  ;-)
But it's still an interesting topic.  If this firms up or falls
through, notice will be posted here and on the web site.

-- Ben