Exchange Killer?

brk gnhlug at karas.net
Wed Aug 16 15:40:01 EDT 2006

We evaluated Scalix and Zimbra, and both of them were found to be
completely inadequate as a pseudo-Exchange.  They both have varying
degrees of groupware and sharing, but I wouldn't call either one a
drop-in replacement.  I had also looked at Bynari about 18 months ago
and came to the same conclusion on that one.

I have to admit, for the most part Exchange actually works pretty
well.  Many of these other alternatives offer a much less robust and
complete product with very little overall TCO reductions.  I might've
been able to tolerate Zimbra if it was free, but when it's 3/4 the
cost of Exchange, the dollars are close enough that I can't justify
spending a chunk of money for an incomplete solution that chews up
tons of resources to keep running.  Scalix was, IMO, even less
complete and reliable than Zimbra.