OT: Web Designers

Seth Cohn sethcohn at gnuhampshire.org
Wed Aug 23 18:07:00 EDT 2006

> > The past couple developers we went through were still using tables and
> > 1x1 images for placement.
>
> I haven't found any yet who can do CSS positioning that works across
> all browsers consistently for magazine-layout-type work.

Depends on how fancy you go... some of the neater layouts DO look good
in all major browsers (even given IE/Firefox/Opera differences)

Perhaps it's time to look into the current galleries of
http://www.oswd.org or http://openwebdesign.org

> The best I've
> worked with have given me stuff that falls apart as soon as I zoom-up
> the font size

Font size should never matter... within reason.

> Ignore all of the above if your app can tolerate being rendered
> inconsistently among browsers.  That's the better approach.

Inconsistentence comes from using certain features that other browsers
don't support.  Most of the fault lies at the foot of IE though...
lots of stuff it just does wrong viathe standard and correct only via
IE-only commands.  (gee, is anyone one THIS list surprised at that?)

> If somebody can get all of the above working cleanly, we need to draft
> him as a GNHLUG speaker!

I don't claim to be a CSS wizard... just decent at it, and I admit
that sometimes it seems annoying that the browser wars are far from
over...

but the current state of CSS design is far enough along that anyone
using tables and 1x1 pixel gifs should be ashamed of themselves.
Tables are good for certain kinds of data display, but due to
rendering time, using them to format all of your pages for layout is
usually a bad move.