Network equipment (was: Tuning NFS)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Aug 28 09:42:00 EDT 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:47, Ben Scott wrote:

>  I'm currently looking strongly at HP ProCurve (2600 and 2800
> series).  Good rep.  Lifetime warranty with next-business-day advanced
> part replacement.
>
>  Cisco and Nortel both have a good rep, but they're also hard to buy
> and rather expensive (fiendishly so for Cisco).

The HP's seem to work fine.  I have a few clients with them and they
don't complain.

I can't say enough good things about Cisco switches but the big
downsides are price and you pay for IOS security updates.

I've only bought one new Cisco switch in the past 3 years - that was
for an All-Gig-E switch.  For 10/100 gear I highly recommend buying
refurbished Cisco from a company like Recurrent <steve at recurrent.com) -
you can get into a 24-port  "Enterprise Image" switch for somewhere in
the $500 range with a 1-year warranty and current IOS.  So far only one
of the units I've received have come in defective and none of them have
gone bad over that period of time, so rather than get a 20-year
warranty (which is really just insurance), we self-insure with a spare
or two onsite.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/