Long-term (hours+) solution for power outage: PBX, lights, and computers

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Thu Aug 31 17:00:01 EDT 2006

The biggest headache I've had with the larger UPS' is their batteries.
They seem to last only a few years, so I've dumped my APC Matrix UPS in
favor of running multiple smaller UPS (with cheaper batteries) and a
generator.

All the larger UPS solutions I've run into clearly make their money on
their proprietary batteries. For a "centralized" solution, I would
recommend getting a couple of ProSine 3KW inverters and lots of
deep-discharge batteries - the more batteries, the longer you'll stay up.

--Bruce
PS: The ProSine inverters run a coupla grand each. However, they do
provide a true sinewave (and last nearly forever).