Strange PPP Disconnect errors?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 1 12:50:37 EST 2006

Quoting Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com>:

> On 12/1/06, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Dec  1 11:27:47 cliodev pppd[26520]: rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x19]
>> Dec  1 11:27:47 cliodev pppd[26520]: LCP terminated by peer
>
>  LCP = Link Control Protocol.  The peer (the other end, the provider)
> is telling your end to disconnect.  Usually indicates either an
> equipment problem on the other end, or that you forgot to pay your
> bill.  :)  At least, that's what it meant in the POTS modem world.

In this case the "peer" is the packet modem..  So I don't think
it has anything to do with not paying my bill.  Also, this link can
sometimes stay up for multiple minutes; it's not an immediate disconnect.

Is there any way to tell PPP to ignore or Nack the LCP Disconnect?
When I connect to the same packet modem using my Tungsten E2 I dont
have this kind of problem..  And I dont think I have this problem when
I connect from windows, either.

> -- Ben

-derek