Moving data from one server to another

David Hardy belovedbold357 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:48:16 EST 2006

Greetings, all;

We have an older (and ailing) Dell PowerEdge 6300 running RH 9.0 and
overloaded with a ton of (no-longer-sold and barely supported) Telemation
phone system software.  This machine is currently part of our network.

We just bought a new Dell PowerEdge 860 and it came installed with RHEL 4.0.
This box connects to the internet dynamically and they would like us to
migrate the whole can of worms from the old box to the new one and then fix
stuff, if necessary, afterward.  It has been explained at least a dozen
times to them that the process is not as simple as what they call "copying"
or "mapping" directories to the new machine;  there are site-specific
scripts and files all over the old box written by several people over the
years who have since left and never documented anything that they did (never
enforced by same management that is on us like white on rice now to get this
thing done.)

I was wondering if anyone else here has faced this sort of situation before
and how they dealt with it.

Dave Hardy
Old VMS guy