License finder?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 17:19:18 EST 2006

On 12/1/06, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> > Any ideas?  Neither apt nor dpkg seem to have --what-license option :(
>
> Did you get this figured out?  I see the website has links like:
>
>    http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/liba/libalgorithm-
> annotate-perl/libalgorithm-annotate-perl_0.10-1/libalgorithm-annotate-
> perl.copyright
>
> that should be good enough to get your result.

  That gives you the full copyright file, which sometimes doesn't even
include license terms (I've seen them reference other files).  Paul's
looking for a concise list, with package to license listed, one per
line.

  It appears the only way to get the result desired, with a Debian
system, is to check each package manually, and make a list.  Or (and
this sounded like the route Paul was going) pay someone else to do it.

-- Ben