Laptop repair

hewitt_tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Wed Dec 6 10:20:30 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tech Writer" <TechWtr at handspun.com>
To: "GNHLUG Group" <gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 12:11 PM
Subject: Laptop repair

> Can anyone suggest somewhere in the greater Southern New Hampshire area
> that can perform a simple laptop repair?  I've got an older HP Pavilion
> that I just finished loading Linux onto.  It was working great until the
> dog ran by, and yanked the power cable out.  The connection is now loose
> and won't hold the cable.  The lowest price I can get from HP repair is
> almost $300! They told me that was just for shipping, handling, and
> re-soldering the connector back to the motherboard.  To get the whole
> thing tested after was closer to $400!
>
> Peg

I was talking with someone recently who took their HP laptop to Best Buy for
what sounded like the same problem. The power connector was loose and  Best
Buy sent it to their depot in Chicago. When it came back the motherboard was
dead. Someone messed up and I don't think Best Buy felt obligated to replace
the machine. So you certainly need to be careful who you give your machine
to.

-Alex