Redux: Question about gcc/binutils relocatability

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 08:44:52 EST 2006

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a compiler guy, so maybe I'm misunderstanding.

On 12/8/06, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:
> My claim is that gcc without a -B option is the same as
> running gcc -B $x. So if I run gcc from $y I run the risk of using stuff
> from /usr/lib/gcc that I really should not be getting.

  On the other hand, maybe you just want to override *one* of the
subprograms with something else.  This behavior lets you put just the
one in $y, and get all the other ones from the $x.

  If you're overriding *all* of the subprograms, then the main program
will find them all in $y, so you'll never get anything from $x anyway.

  The only way I could see this being a problem would be if (1) you
need to override *all* the subprograms but (2) screw up some how, so
that not all of them are properly in $y.

> Or am I just too fussy?

  Yes.  ;)

-- Ben