SPARC Live CD?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Dec 21 08:33:48 EST 2006

On 12/21/06, Neil Joseph Schelly <neil at jenandneil.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 07:13 pm, Paul Lussier wrote:
> > I wouldn't call myself a Solaris fan, I haven't really used it in
> > about 5 or 6 years.  But I know it well enough to feel at home there
> > and found your description of "painfully lacking" a bit extreme.
>
> That wasn't a dig on all Solaris boxes everywhere.  On this machine, it's
> appropriate.  It was setup long ago by people who shouldn't be allowed to
> touch a computer.  I turned it on and /usr/local couldn't be mounted.  I
> don't know the root password off the top of my head.  Ask me where sudo was
> installed next.

You get used to all the extensions that are not in Solaris when you're
on Linux.  I'd argue that Linux is more the defacto standard Unix then
Solaris.  Or maybe MacOSX.

Once upon a time, most freeware seemed to be developed on SunOS and
ported elsewhere.  Solaris was usually 3rd.  As Linux got better and
SunOS faded, Linux (i386) has become the development platform.

sudo on Solaris isn't standard.  It's part of the Software Companion
DVD which puts it in /opt/sfw/bin.  I think the Companion DVD started
with Solaris 8.

We have a few Solaris 2.6 systems here.  /bin/bash isn't there so I
use /bin/ksh as my login shell.  Linux (and Cygwin) uses PDksh which
works *almost* the same as ksh88 but not quite as well as bash.  At
home I use bash.  I'm always toggling between the command line syntax.

You have my sympathies.