Notes from last night's MerriLUG meeting, 21-Dec-2006

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Fri Dec 22 15:00:57 EST 2006

Yet another great meeting at Martha's Exchange.

I didn't get an exact headcount, but I'd guess 14 of us made it last
night for the monthly meeting, held on the Winter Solstice.

Announcements included upcoming meetings:  Jarod Wilson, author of
the Fedora MythTV HOWTO [1] will be presenting at the MerriLUG
meeting on 18-Jan-2006. Other upcoming meetings are kept up-to-date
on http://www.gnhlug.org

We had several mini-presentations, all very good:

- Andy Bair gave a brief overview of WebJob ([2]) and there was a
good discussion of advantages over ssh-based push models
- Rob Lembree and Matt Brodeur showed off BitPim ([3]) software for
transferring calendar, contact, background graphics and ringtones to
and from cell phones
- Jim Kuzdrall described a naming scheme to organize his engineering
documents and find them years later.

Thanks to Heather for herding the cats and bringing the projector,
Jim Kuzdrall for the announcements, Martha's Exchange for providing
the facilities, and thanks to the speakers and attendees for an
interesting  evening!

A couple folks noticed I handed out GNHLUG business cards to a couple
of activists as stocking stuffers. You can print your own cards using
glabels and the template available at the bottom of the page here:

http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Organizational/BrochureWare

[1] http://www.wilsonet.com
[2] http://webjob.sourceforge.net/WebJob/index.shtml
[3] http://www.bitpim.org/

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com