Traffic shaping/aggregating

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Dec 27 08:49:14 EST 2006

On 12/26/06, Michael ODonnell <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> wrote:

> > How about using the LinkSys RV042/82 series router which has dual
> > wide area network connections and can do load balancing?
>
> Outbound only, I presume, and even that's a good trick.
> Inbound aggregation/load balancing would require cooperation
> from the ISP and I suspect they'd rather just sell him a single
> go-faster connection for a way larger number of dollars...

There's something out there called Trunking where you can make 2
network connections act as one.  I think it may be called bonding in
Linux.  In the past you took 2 PPP connections and bonded them.

Some high end switches have Trunking and Sun has Sun Trunking.  Both
follow some 802.x standard that I can't recall.

Again, this would require cooporation from the ISP.