OT: Cygwin/X on Windows XP

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Wed Dec 27 19:23:15 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm struggling with getting Cygwin/X working on Windows XP Pro.

Whenever I start it, I get the attached log file.

I've Googled the errors listed at the bottom of the file and the results
all point to this:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof

I have tried those instructions multiple times to no avail. I still get
the same error log. I have verified also that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
exists and that it contains fonts in the appropriate directories.
Specifically, ./misc contains 413 files!

I have tried deleting the Cygnus Solutions registry keys, deleting all
of the Cygwin software, and reinstalling. When that did not fix the
problem, I tried adding a registry key to mount /usr/X11R6 and still no
love.

When I had this installed on a computer with Win2K Professional, it
worked without a hitch.--I'm starting to think that there is some sort
of genetic incompatibility with Cygwin/X and Windows XP.

Anyway, I'm writing this esteemed list to ask if anyone else has
encountered this problem and if you were able to resolve it. So far, all
I've come up with on other mailing list archives point me back to the
useless FAQ link above.

Cheers,
Jason