RHAT bug? /etc/init.d/functions:daemon()

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:27:01 EST 2006

On 2/1/06, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> I think perl init scripts would be great - you'd need to make a small
> static perl to live in /bin for boot purposes and control people from
> using every module under God in the init scripts.

  One of the biggest incentives to use Perl is the large collection of
modules.  Runtime performance is another, but that's generally not a
concern for initscripts.  So what's the benefit?

  initscripts should be small.  I'd guess my feeling is that if you
find yourself needing Perl for an initscript, what you're doing
shouldn't be being done in an initscript in the first place.  :)

  Plus, from a package author's standpoint, one would still need to
provide a traditional shell init script for all the distros that don't
do that, so doing another one in Perl would just be extra work.

  OTOH, the Perl core is already fairly compact, I think.  On a
convenient RH box, /usr/bin/perl is 12 kilobytes, and libperl is just
over a meg.

-- Ben