HTML question (&nbst)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:45:01 EST 2006

On 2/2/06, Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:
> The problem is that for spaces he's using &nbsp and it shows up in
> my firefox, but not in his IE.

  Maybe he should switch to Firefox?  ;-)

> Anyway, can anybody show me a proper example of using nbsp?

	<P>My name is Ben&nbsp;Scott.  This is a lame example.</P>

  In the above, my intent is to make sure "Ben" always appears next to
"Scott"; I don't want my name to break (wrap) at a margin.  That's the
*proper* use for a non-breaking space.  As Christopher Schmidt rightly
points out, using them to try and force layout is a bad idea for any
number of reasons.

  See also the official HTML spec, which is one of the more useful
spec documents I've encountered:

http://www.www.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/

-- Ben "MSIE is a broken space" Scott