Information security, recycling and irony

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 10:24:01 EST 2006

On 2/2/06, Fred <puissante at lrc.puissante.com> wrote:
> In the Boston Globe case, there is an element of professionalism amiss here.

  Sadly, this appears to be the norm and not the exception.  There
have been many news reports over the past couple of years where
supposedly personal and private information was disclosed through
incompetence or laziness.  Files left on public web servers, systems
which automatically emailing credit card numbers, backup tapes shipped
to the wrong location, insecure designs coupled with insecure
practices, or, my personal favorite, the box full of personal health
records that fell off the back of a truck in Boston.

  People often express concerns about the security of their personal
information when they transmit it over the Internet.  Really, it's not
the Internet transport they need to worry about.  The real dangers lie
in the organizations and people who treat customer data with such a
cavalier attitude.  (Hence my love of spaf's "armored car" quote.)

> This sounds like a job for - Stupidman, the man of steal!

  HAH!

-- Ben "Man of butter" Scott