Information security, recycling and irony

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sat Feb 4 07:16:02 EST 2006

On Friday 03 February 2006 13:40, Travis Roy wrote:
> > Oh, but what do I know about image and marketing? I'm just a lowly
> > software engineer after all...
>
> Heh, that reminds me of back when I worked at BURST! Meida, they had an
> add campaign that played on WBCN looking for new tech people. It was
> -HORRIBLE-. Nobody in the tech department even knew about it until we
> heard them on the air.
>
> A few days later the CTO came up and asked us what we thought, we all
> told them they were crap (with the exception of the one suckup that said
> they were great). The HR guy that did them and got them on the air got
> fired, they got -ZERO- responses.
>
> I wish I could remember the dialog.

Now that is funny. The *HR* guy did them, which tells me BURST! had no
marketing department.

Kinda like Commodore. Remember Commodore? We engineers were always frustrated
with the lack of marketing at Commodore. Here we had this great product --
the Amiga, better at graphics and sound than any other computer in its price
range at the time. Oh, Commodore did have a "marketing" department, but they
all had their thumbs up their @$$. For instance, they killed what would've
been great for Commodore -- Sears carrying the Amiga line, because the
marketing team thought it would "hurt the Amiga image to appear in the Sears
catalog." There were a litany of marketing screwups of this nature.

The running joke at Commodore was this:

How would Commodore market Sushi?
"Cold, dead, raw fish."

Which just about describes Commodore right now...

-Fred