"Connection Reset By Peer" on ssh sessions

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sun Feb 5 04:34:00 EST 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 12:15, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2006, at 11:18, Dave Johnson wrote:
> > Best bet is to use '-oProtocolKeepAlives=90' or
> > '-oServerAliveInterval=60 -oServerAliveCountMax=3' depending on what
> > version of openssh you are using.
>
> Yeah, what Dave said.
>
> If you haven't played with openssh options before, they can also go in
> ~/.ssh/config.  I have
>
>    ServerAliveInterval 60
>    ServerAliveCountMax 60
>
> in mine.

Thanks to all that responded. I am trying the ServerAlive settings and will
see if that will fix the problem.

> Still, Verizon shouldn't time you out so fast.  My parents had a
> Verizon DSL and they got a max. 5 minute DHCP lease.  They're on
> Comcast now for that very reason (couldn't hold a video conference
> call).  Verizon wildly oversells their infrastructure.

Verizon tells me they will be getting away from their PPPoE and will be going
the normal DHCP/Dymanic setup that everyone else does. Perhaps that will
lick the problem. No indication they will be doing that for DSL customers,
though.

-Fred