A rant about ZendPlatform

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sun Feb 5 05:22:01 EST 2006

This is a small rant about ZendPlatform. Take it with a puff...

My web servers are getting hit with more and more traffic, and things were
slowing down big time. So I looked into it, and found my assumptions about
how mod_php works by default is just plain wrong. It does NOT cache the
bytecode by default. I just have to get out of the silly notion that others
would write code and design modules the way *I* would have I done it.

So I tried APC initially. That kept failing for some odd reason.

Then I looked at ZendPlatform, a non-FOSS $1000 solution. Installed the free
eval version on my workstation just to try it out. Didn't work either.
Didn't have the time to delve deeply into it, so I commented it out in the
php.ini

I even looked at IonCube, but that's been dead for a while. No workie on PHP
5.1.2

Then I decided to take another look at APC.  I did managed to get it to work
on the workstation, but it didn't work on the servers. Puzzled, I looked a
bit more closely at the php.ini files.

I noticed that on the workstation I had commented out the Zend extension
lines, whereas on the server they were not commented out (put there by Zend
Optimizer, I think).

So lo and behold, I got it to work, and it resulted in a dramatic 10x or
better speedup, since no longer were thousands of lines of PHP code were
being recompiled on *each* query.

APC is free as in freedom (as well as free beer), so I was delighted not to
have to fork over $1000!

I noticed, though, on my workstation, that ram and swap space were being
eaten up. Puzzled, I topped it and saw "java" chewing up 300megs of swap!
What in the blazes? There were some other processes in there too chewing up
ram and swap.

They were all related to ZendPlatform. Ouch.

Let's get that baby uninstalled! Let's see, where is the uninstall script?
Gotta be around here somewhere, right?

No uninstall script.

So, I searched the documentation for how to uninstall this beast. No text
readme files that were useful, but there was this big PDF document.

Hmmm.

So I opened that up and near the end of it, there were 2 pages of uninstall
instructions!!!! All of it was manual, annoying, and required 10 steps or
so!

I had to manually switch off the apache cron job -- what, it created an
apache cron job??!!! I also had to delete this directory, disable that
deamon, etc, etc.

I did all of this and managed to recover my swap and ram that was swamped by
ZendPlatform.

Well, folks, I'm peeved. For a $1000 product, I expected *much* better than
what I saw. I was shocked at all the stuff it added to my system, and fuming
at the fact I had to undo all of their crap by hand. While I was thinking
that maybe some of the other features of ZendPlatform might be useful, I now
get an upset stomach at the thought of all those resources eating up my
server and slowing it down. And it would've been overkill anyway just for
its PHP accelerator, which *used* to be a separate product, but is now
bundled in with all that bloat.

So while I give the Zend Engine and the Zend Optimizer two thumbs up, I give
ZendPlatform 4 thumbs down.

4 thumbs down?

Yes. I grew two extra hands for the expressed purpose of showing my
displeasure at the experience. The Zend folks should stop smoking the weed,
and weed out the problems with the over-bloat of their $1000 product.

-Fred