OpenVPN bridging with only one interface?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 11:11:00 EST 2006

On 2/9/06, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>> However, crypto is resource intensive -- especially CPU intensive.
>> The WRT54G is a fairly bitty box; trying to use it for that may drag
>> down performance on everything.
>
> Just for a frame of reference, the WRT54G has a 216MHz MIPS CPU, and
> the SonicWall Pro's I've worked with have a 233MHz StrongARM.

  Unfortunately, that's not really much help.  First of all, clock
rates are a really poor way to compare CPUs of different
architectures.  More importantly, a lot of VPN appliances use ASICs
that off-load the crypto from the CPU.  The WRT54G has no such
accelerator.  So you're comparing apples to orange juice.  :)

> Speaking of which, only the 3rd party firmwares seem to use this CPU
> properly.

  Now that's interesting.  I'll have to give the 3rd party firmware a
try.  I haven't bothered with my WRT54G because I haven't percieved a
need yet.  Sounds like I would get some benefit after all.  I wonder
what the differences are to cause such a result.

-- Ben