Help build the new GNHLUG Internet server

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Feb 10 10:00:00 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:36:03AM -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On Thursday, Feb 9th 2006 at 20:28 -0500, quoth Ben Scott:
>
> =>Hello GNHLUG!
> =>
> =>  A project has been started to enhance GNHLUG's Internet presence.
> =>The initial focus of this project will be to configure and deploy a
> =>new server. The plan is the server will eventually host the GNHLUG web
> =>and mailing list servers, as well as be home to future GNHLUG ideas.
> =>
> =>
> =>  Initially, things we will be using include: SSH, Apache, Sendmail,
> =>TWiki, GNU Mailman.
> =>
> =>  In the future, we may also use: Postfix, PHP, Python, Zope, Plone,
> =>*SQL, and whatever else brings something useful to the table.
>
> May I strongly urge you to not use Mailman and to instead consider
> Majordomo2 (see: http://www.mj2.org)
>
> It is a better mailinglist manager. It suffers from not getting enough use
> compared to what Mailman was able to achieve with Red Hat having been the
> promoter. I use it here on syslang for the dozen odd lists I run. My
> biggest list is about 800 people and it works really well.

Two reasons that I would recommend *against* this:
 * Inertia. Mailman is what has been used for the mailing list forever,
   there haven't been any major issues that I'm aware of, and there's
   therefore no reason to change (unless there are issues I'm unaware
   of).
 * Mailman being the preferred choice (which you list as a downside) is
   something that I consider an upside. I hate it when I have to use a
   non-mailman list becasue I know *how* to use mailman list, since
   that's the leading majority.

But I'm guessing that mailing list software is almost as religious as
distro choice, so I'm not going to argue it, just pointing out that
without a significant impetuous to change, there's no reason to, imho.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer