RDNS subdelegation

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Fri Feb 10 11:45:01 EST 2006

On Friday 10 February 2006 11:08 am, Travis Roy wrote:
> Has anybody ever setup Reverse DNS subdelegation.

I haven't set it up yet, but I was reading the RFC on it a few weeks ago and
it seemed relatively straightforward - very short RFC.  Essentially, the
place responsible for the 10.20.30.xxx reverse DNS is always technically
responsible for that in-addr.arpa zone.  It CNAMES out individual addresses
in that block to names that include the CIDR notation /subnet in them.

If memory recollects: Perhaps 10.20.30.0/25 and 10.20.30.128/25 are two
subnets.  10.20.30.129's reverse DNS would look like a CNAME to
129/25.30.20.10.in-addr.arpa or something like that.  Find the RFC and
correct what I'm getting wrong, but it really isn't very hard to break up the
netblocks.
-N