Hard Disk Failure

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 10:13:01 EST 2006

> buy another of the same model drive and try swapping the platters

Yow!  I've disassembled dead drives just out of curiosity
and I'd bet serious cash that the even an accomplished
hobbyist would find swapping platters from one drive to
another to be anything but straightforward.  The various
parts and assemblies often don't fit together in ways that
make sense to humans, the tolerances are unforgiving and
you'll likely need some specialized tools as well as
access to a well maintained Clean Room and a bunny suit...  ;->