Windows-like registry for Linux?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 14:17:00 EST 2006

>> A cow-orker is tasked with implementing a lean-
>> and-mean registry thingy that's maybe similar
>> to the Windows registry, or maybe not.  The real
>> goal is for multiple processes/threads to be able
>> to perform attribute lookups cheaply and reliably
>> and possibly VERY frequently (many thousands/sec)
>> with updates possible but very infrequent.
>>
>> Anybody know of such a beast?    Maybe a library
>> that uses shared memory?
>
>I would suggest Berkeley DB.

Cool.  Thanks.  Not that I have actual knowledge of
the subject, but I picture a DB engine as a somewhat
ponderous thang.  Would this fit the lean-and-mean
requirement?  I think all that's required is that a
bunch of cooperating processes be able to do these
attribute lookups; will linking them with a DB lib
bloat them unreasonably?  If not, then this may be
just what he's lookin for...