Oracle buys Open Source vendors, was: Windows-like registry for Linux?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Feb 15 11:36:01 EST 2006

On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Bill McGonigle wrote:

> I do find it curious that Oracle is buying up the commercial DB
> backends that are used in F/LOSS.

Yeah, what's up with that? InnoDB last year and now Sleepycat. I've
done a few development projects with Oracle 8 and 9, but I'm not well-
informed on how they work. I understand Oracle buys a fair number of
small software companies. Is this like CA, who absorbs and smothers?

What do you think they are up to?

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com