[OT] Locating source of FM radio interference

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 22:03:00 EST 2006

> >It's called "Body Shielding".  Your body can act as a shield.  Tune the

Yes.

Advanced body shielding involves a secondary conductive shielf. You
put the radio in Pringles can, or other deep open-top conductive case,
antenna up, and using a lanyard (string) to pull up (and let gravity
pull down) to adjust how close to the mouth it is, thus providing a
variable attenuation to get it just on the edge so you can hear it
change as you turn it around your body, the "body shield".

This technique will work with weak VHF FM signals, we use it in VHF FM
foxhunting in ham radio. (It's hardly the preferred technique, but it
will work for close-in if you don't have specialty gear.)

[ I heard of someone wrapping himself in aluminum foil to do advanced
body shield, but the cops questioned him quite a while (post 9/11,
alas). Not a recommended variation. ]

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com