Unkillable processes?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sat Feb 18 21:56:00 EST 2006

On Friday, Feb 17th 2006 at 13:58 -0500, quoth Dan Coutu:

=>Just to add more confusion to the mix, or maybe a useful clue, the system load
=>average is about 4 but top shows 97% system idle time. Strange.

You've gotten good advice, I just wanted to add one thing. The load
average is simply a count of the number of processes that are in the run
queue over a specific period of time. It just means that you have four
processes which sit in the run queue and are either doing nothing or doing
io which does not consume much cpu resource.

steveo at syslang.net