"Standard" Unix utilities

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Feb 21 11:37:41 EST 2006

Why didn't I see rename?  Aha. rename is a linuxism.  Or GNUism.  It's on
linux.  It's on Cygwin.  It's not on Solaris.  It's not on Irix.

I don't have a BSD system to test, but it might be on that.
I bet it's not on HP-UX or AIX.

This is why many of us have reinvented the wheel so many times and keep
things in our ~/bin :-(

You'll find the same things with unix2dos/dos2unix, pkill, killall, df
(different options!), anything that looks at disk partitions, etc.

Thankfully the Unix world has converged a bit.  People with OSS systems
tended to put tools they needed into the standard distributions and they got
propaged.  The commercial OS vendors started to follow suit with perl, bash,
tcsh.  df in Solaris 10 finally has -h (does HP-UX 12.x have -k now?)

I think we'll see further merging with OpenSolaris.

On 2/21/06, Drew Van Zandt <drew.vanzandt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't know it existed until after I wrote a perl script with nearly
> identical behaviour (and the same parameter order) and then typed
> "rename foo bar *" instead of "rename.pl foo bar *" ... and the usual
> rename ran instead of my script.  :-P
>
> (That was years ago, of course.  Haven't we all reinvented the wheel a
> few times?)
>
> --DTVZ
>
> > To be honest, I didn't know there is a command "rename" exist. Did I
> > surprised folks here? LOL

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.
  - Daniel Webster