change file names

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Feb 22 08:10:01 EST 2006

$ file `which rename`
/usr/bin/rename: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.2.5, stripped

$ uname -a
Linux 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4smp

And solved in multiple ways....

On 2/21/06, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> "Drew Van Zandt" <drew.vanzandt at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I didn't know it existed until after I wrote a perl script with nearly
> > identical behaviour (and the same parameter order) and then typed
> > "rename foo bar *" instead of "rename.pl foo bar *" ... and the usual
> > rename ran instead of my script.  :-P
>
> Heh, I guess this problem has been around for quite a while and
> frustrated a few others too :)
>
> $ man rename
> RENAME(1)              Perl Programmers Reference
> Guide              RENAME(1)
> .
> .
> .
> AUTHOR
>        Larry Wall
>
> $ file /usr/bin/rename
> /usr/bin/rename: perl script text executable
>
> --
>
> Seeya,
> Paul

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.
  - Daniel Webster