"Standard" Unix utilities

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Feb 22 08:23:00 EST 2006

On 2/21/06, Jason Stephenson <jason at sigio.com> wrote:

> Tom Buskey wrote:
> > Why didn't I see rename?  Aha. rename is a linuxism.  Or GNUism.  It's
> on
> > linux.  It's on Cygwin.  It's not on Solaris.  It's not on Irix.
> >
> > I don't have a BSD system to test, but it might be on that.
> > I bet it's not on HP-UX or AIX.
> >

> jason at casanova:~$ uname -sr
> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p4
> jason at casanova:~$ whatis rename
> VOP_RENAME(9)            - rename a file
> rename(2)                - change the name of a file
> ldapmodrdn(1)            - LDAP rename entry tool
>
> It's not available as a command on FreeBSD. Must be in the GNU fileutils
> collection.

Solaris has rename(2) also.

> This is why many of us have reinvented the wheel so many times and keep
> > things in our ~/bin :-(
> >
> > You'll find the same things with unix2dos/dos2unix, pkill, killall, df
> > (different options!), anything that looks at disk partitions, etc.
>
> Watch out for killall! On some OS permutations it does exactly what it
> says: it kills all running processess! IIRC, it has this behavior on
> HP-UX.

Yes, every OS does killall different.  That why many of us write our own
utilities.

> > Thankfully the Unix world has converged a bit.  People with OSS systems
> > tended to put tools they needed into the standard distributions and they
> got
> > propaged.  The commercial OS vendors started to follow suit with perl,
> bash,
> > tcsh.  df in Solaris 10 finally has -h (does HP-UX 12.x have -k now?)
>
> It has that option in Solaris 9, too. I'm not sure about 8, 'cause I
> never used 8. We went from 7 to 9.

Ah, I see it on 9 too.  8 doesn't have it.  I have 2.6, 8, 9 and 10 to
choose from here.  And I think there's a 7 about to be commissioned.

> > I think we'll see further merging with OpenSolaris.
>
> One of the first things that I often do when setting up a new Solaris
> machine is to install the GNU fileutils, gcc, and several other packages.

Solaris 8-10 have the Software companion CD.  Installs in /opt/sfw or
/usr/sfw and has many commands you want.  gcc, top, sudo, tcpdump, nmap,
samba.  Sun patches can apply though it's "not supported".  I recommend them
because they come from Sun.

Sun has released Sun Studio 11 with thier optimized C, C++, Fortran
compilers and IDE for free.  There is also a Linux version but it may be
just the IDE so far.

Rename isn't part of GNU fileutils (at least the Solaris version):
$ pkgchk -l SFWgfile | grep rena

--
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.