forensic evidence collection tools?

Bair,Paul A. PABAIR at mitre.org
Fri Feb 24 08:05:01 EST 2006

Paul,

I work on and contribute to the ftimes project which does very well to
collect all file system information.  It can also search for a unique
pattern (pcre) across a file system, which I've used to identify trojan
files. It can be found here:

http://ftimes.sourceforge.net/FTimes/index.shtml

If you're trying to do incident response, I would recommend webjob.  I
presented it at the ghnlug last week ... not sure if you were there,
but webjob was designed to perform incident response on a large number
of systems.  I've used it quite effectively to harvest information from
a bunch of windows machines.  WebJob has many advantages including
aggregating the data at a central server.  It can be found here:

http://webjob.sourceforge.net/WebJob/index.shtml

If you're looking for a quick list of forensic tools, this is a good
spot:

http://www.opensourceforensics.org/

>From time-to-time I guest teach an undergrad commputer forensics course,
I'd be glad to talk more about forensics if you would like.

Andy