Hard Disk Failure

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 10:40:01 EST 2006

Dang!  I just stumbled across this in the list of
available packages on my Debian box while looking for
something else - `wish I'd known about this the last time
I was trying to salvage data from some zorched platters...

 DDRESCUE(1)                                                        DDRESCUE(1)

 NAME
        dd_rescue - copies data from one file (or block device) to another

 SYNOPSIS
        dd_rescue [options] infile outfile

 DESCRIPTION
        This manual page documents briefly the dd_rescue command.
        This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because
        the original program does not have a manual page.

        dd_rescue is a program that copies data from one file or block
        device to another, it is a tool to help you to save data from
        crashed partition.  It tries to read and if it fails it will
        go on with the next sectors, where tools like dd will fail.
        If the copying process is interrupted by the user it is possible
        to continue at any position later.  It can copy backwards.

 OPTIONS
        -s ipos
               start position in  input file (default=0)

        -S opos
               start position in output file (def=ipos)

        -b softbs
               block size for copy operation (def=16384)

        -B hardbs
               fallback block size in case of errs (def=512)

        -e maxerr
               exit after maxerr errors (def=0=infinite)

        -m maxxfer
               maximum amount of data to be transfered (def=0=inf)

        -l logfile
               name of a file to log errors and summary to (def="")

        -r     reverse direction copy (def=forward)

        -t     truncate output file (def=no)

        -w     abort on Write errors (def=no)

        -a     spArse file writing (def=no)

        -A     Always write blocks, zeroed if err (def=no)

        -i     interactive: ask before overwriting data (def=no)

        -f     force: skip some sanity checks (def=no)

        -q     quiet operation

        -v     verbose operation

        -V     display version and exit

        -h     Show summary of options

 AUTHOR
        This manual page was written by Ayman Negm <a.negm at hamburg.de>,
        for the Debian project (but may be used by others).

                                 April 16, 2003                     DDRESCUE(1)