Unkillable processes?

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 26 15:42:00 EST 2006

   From: Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
   Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:08:21 -0500

   unkillable processes tend to be locked into an effective deadlock that
   is resolved when you get rid of some of the peers and ancestors.=20
   Transitioning to single user mode also shuts down the network.=20

I think you may have found the reason why this method works here...

   However, there can be cases where a process is locked in an
   indefinite I/O wait. It is very rare when these occur and even single
   user mode won't clear it. The most common indefinite I/O wait that I

I can easily get rm locked in uninterruptable sleep (state "D") by
doing rm -rf /very/large/directory/ on a reiser3 partition.  Control
never returns to the shell and no signal on earth will remove the
process.  telinit 1/3, however, works *every* time.  Hypothesis: rm
could be deadlocking with other processes/states as mentioned above.

--
  "So many people like XML because so few people understand Scheme."