asset management tools?

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Tue Feb 28 20:55:01 EST 2006

I'm looking to replace a spreadsheet listing all our servers with a web-based
asset management tool. I'm wondering what experience all of you may have with
the available tools out there.

Essentially, I want to be able to list servers and specify arbitrary
attributes for those servers as we have a number of inventory attributes we
keep track of that are rather specific to our use and I'm sure won't be in
any preselected group of attributes.

It would be nice to be able to attach files to server records, add an
inventory of spare parts (or effectively non-server items), track changes to
servers, and a make use of a user authentication system.  Those aren't
requirements, but would be pretty cool to have.

-Neil