One more bites the dust

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Jan 5 14:36:00 EST 2006

David Pogue had a review of it in the NYT
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/05/technology/circuits/05pogue.html

sorry, passwd required

Basically Palm did this so they could sell to everyone that requires MS
because they were tired of losing that market.  The ease of use is severly
hampered.

Unless the WinCE device severly outsells the PalmOS one, I think we'll see
future PalmOS devices.  Maybe companies that require WinCE will be willing
to look at the other Palms once they have a few 700ws in house.

- wishing for a PalmOS based blackberry (my company requires BB..)

On 1/5/06, Jon maddog Hall <maddog at li.org> wrote:

> I saw the announcement of the new Palm Treo 700w today, and thought I
> might
> take a look at it.  My old phone is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I
> thought I might go for a new Treo.
>
> When I go to the page
> http://web.palm.com/products/smartphones/treo700w/details.jhtml
> I saw the agonizing Microsoft logo.  Apparently Palm has decided to put
> their
> "ease of use" on top of the Windows Mobile platform.  It means that every
> time I would go to use my phone I would have to be reminded of a monopoly
> gone
> bad.
>
> It is a shame that one of the last bastions of closed source good software
> felt they had to partner with someone who is basically their biggest
> competitor.
>
> I may never be able to purchase another Palm again.
>
> Sadly,
>
> maddog
> --
> Jon "maddog" Hall
> Executive Director           Linux International(R)
> email: maddog at li.org         80 Amherst St.
> Voice: +1.603.672.4557       Amherst, N.H. 03031-3032 U.S.A.
> WWW: http://www.li.org
>
> Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association
>
> (R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
> (R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
>    to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
>    Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
> (R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
>    countries.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.
  - Daniel Webster