maddog: Letter to InfoWorld: Linux 64-bit since 1995!

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Fri Jan 6 23:30:01 EST 2006

>>So, regarding x86-64, yeah, MS is pretty late to the party.  And since that's
>>what runs the huge majority of desktops, that's really where it's at.
>>

>Sorry, Ken, have to disagree with you.  There is such a thing as a "server
>system".

Oh, absolutely.  I didn't want to muddy the water with the place where,
as far as I'm concerned, we've already won.  [Don't get me wrong: I
don't mean raw figures, or MS leaving the server market, or anything.
But I only see Linux expanding its grip on servers as time goes on, and
as more CS students with Linux under their belt enter the workplace.]
What I mean by desktops being "where it's at" is that that's where the
fight is.  Five years ago, I thought Linux was six months from being
able to make inroads -- perhaps I was a bit optimistic.  Now, however, I
have no doubt that Linux -can- make inroads.  The functionality is in
place.  It'll just take time for us to wear away at the huge amount of
inertia ("You can't get fired for buying IBM^H^H^H Microsoft") that they
have.  Fortunately, I'd say that roughly 1/2 of the home users Just
Don't Care.  They aren't looking to run any super-duper MS-specific apps
or games or anything.  They want:

1) E-mail
1a) To be able to watch the (virus-laden) attachments and/or links they
get from their friends
2) Web surfing
3) IM

Linux can do all that, NOT get (as many) viruses, AND be a whole lot
less expensive.  However, until you start seeing Linux boxen next to MS
boxen at (say) Circuit City -- and for less money -- I don't see us
making a substantial difference in userbase numbers.

Which just means, of course, that we continue fighting the good fight.

In other words, I violently agree.  ;-)

-Ken