maddog: Letter to InfoWorld: Linux 64-bit since 1995!

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Sun Jan 8 09:13:01 EST 2006

bill at bfccomputing.com said:
> Oh, and given the amount of work it took me to port POV-Ray to Alpha  (32-bit
> pointer assumptions everywhere) I can see why Microsoft wasn't  chomping at
> that particular bit.

But the work eventually had to be done, didn't it?  When we started Alpha Linux,
Jim Paradis wanted to make a 32-bit version because he was afraid all the
free software would take a lot of porting.  I told him that I did not think
that would be the case, since a lot of the software already ran on Digital
Unix, and already had been ported to 64-bits.  Actually, good code with proper
type-casting does not need much, if any, porting just to get it to work.  He
tried a few packages and agreed with me.  He then "tidied up" the 32-bit port
he was working on and joined Linus in the 64-bit port.

md

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.