Long connection pauses?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 21:03:01 EST 2006

On 1/8/06, Brian Chabot <brian at datasquire.net> wrote:
> I have a relatively new machine that pauses for 20-120 seconds between
> SYN/ACK and issuing the banner on all TCP connections.

  Kevin's right in that you need to provide more information.

  Since TCP itself never issues a banner, you're clearly talking about
some higher-level protocol(s) layered on top of TCP.  What are they?

  Is the machine running a firewall?  What happens if you shut it off?
 (You'll want to make sure the box is well secured before you do
that.)

  Are you traversing a firewall, NAT boundary, load balancer, or some
other "smart" device on your way to testing the connection?  What
happens if you start the connection beyond said device?

  Try shutting down all but a few services.  For example, stop
everything but syslog, network, and sshd, and then see if you can
connect to sshd.

> The machine is running Mandriva 2006, but so are three other machines on
> the network and none of them have this problem.  All the xinetd settings
> are identical, as are resolv.conf

  The difference must be somewhere else, then.  :)

  Unless by "identical" you really mean "mostly the same", which often
later becomes "mostly the same except for the one critical thing I
overlooked".  :)

-- Ben