Emacs & PINE -- "perfect together." [Don't hurt me!]

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Wed Jan 11 01:31:02 EST 2006

A sad, sad truth that I've come to accept is that I have PINE's keystrokes
emblazoned in my memory.  I use it at least once a year, whether I need to
or not, and I never even have to pause.  They keystrokes are just THERE.
I tried MUTT.  No dice.  Never was a big ELM fan.  And GUIs are certainly
nice, but sometimes text based is the way to fly.

Ironically, however, I really hate PICO.

So I've set up Emacs as my default editor.  Nice.  But the one problem I
have is that I'd really like to have Emacs do column-77 wordwrap if -- and
only if -- it's invoked from PINE.  I have zilch idea how to invoke this
from the command line, and don't know enough about Emacs (I dabble, I don't
"use") to do it any of the other ways.

Suggestions on which approach?  I've Googled, to no avail, but I know that
there are some Emacs die-hards out there, and would be glad to follow their
sagacious advice.

Thanks much,

-Ken