BSD User's group?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Jan 13 16:26:01 EST 2006

On 1/13/06, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2006, at 17:27, Martin Ekendahl wrote:
>
> >  Too much eye candy or something, I can't put my finger on it. I like
> > my console!
>
>    init 3
>
> will take care of that problem for you.
>
> also
>
>    rpm --erase rhgb
>
> to get rid of that stupid graphical boot screen (which doesn't work on
> some hardware, grr).
>
> I haven't had any problems with the BSD's I've used other than driver
> support issues, and once upon a time, lack of SMP.  I'm working on

SMP and journaling file systems.  BSD belives in FFS and doesn't think
journaling is the way to go.

If you're running on non x386 hardware, OpenBSD and NetBSD will work as well
on them as on 386en.  Linux tends to focus on the PC with the possible
exception of PPC.  Yes, they run on other archs, but things will be missing
or not available.  The 386 vs the sparc vs the alpha vs the PPC version of
NetBSD/OpenBSD will work mosly the same.

--
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.