Samba PDC/BDC

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:25:01 EST 2006

On 1/16/06, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> Apparently the magic pixie dust is some sort of RPC mechanism.
>
> Found this here:
>    http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Samba/Samba-Guide/kerberos.html

  I read that as a bit more then "an RPC mechanism".  I read that as
saying, in order to be an AD DC, Samba would have to have all the
functionality it has now, plus all the functionality of an LDAP
server, plus all the functionality of a Kerberos server.
(Alternatively, much of the functionality of Samba would have to be
fitted into an LDAP implementation and a Kerberos implementation.  Six
of one, half-dozen of the other.)  That fits the pattern of how
Microsoft designs things: Very high coupling, and poor cohesion.
Everything is all tied together in a big knot.

> ADS server support is not a current goal for Samba development.

  Darn.  I can't say I'm surprised.  Heck, I'm more surprised that
Samba works at all, let alone as a mostly-complete replacement for
NTLM.  It's not like Microsoft is known for enabling interoperability.
 But still: Darn.

-- Ben "Darn" Scott