HB1197 Public Meeting

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Jan 19 12:20:01 EST 2006

A bit more information:

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:28:09PM -0500, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hcaljourns/calendars/2006/houcal2006_6.html
> Tuesday, Jan 24th:
>  2:00 p.m.         Subcommittee work session on HB 1197, establishing a
>  committee to study requiring state government to consider using open
>  source software when acquiring new software.

This is a public work session for the committe. What this means is
basically that the committee will be reviewing material that they've
been given via the previous public hearings, etc.

It is not a meeting which is directed at interaction with the
participants, but a few knowledgable people might be able to provide
answers to questions (quitely and politely, of course) that the mostly
technology-unsavvy committee members might not have the resources
available for.

The meeting should last about 45 minutes to an hour. There will probably
not be sitting room for much more than 5-6 people -- again, this is not
a public hearing.

According to Rep. Allan, the committee has thus far been favorable
towards the use of open source, but wants to ensure that there is a plan
in place beyond "Fix it yourself" in the situation that there is a
problem. I expect that this is the kind of thing where Redhat and the
like come into play: You're paying them annual contract fees to ensure
that if you do have problems, they get fixed. This is, at least in my
experience, different than the Windows experience where you are paying
for license fees up front and no continuing support fees.

Anyway, I plan on attending, more out of interest than anything else.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer