BIND question

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Fri Jan 20 19:13:00 EST 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 04:10 pm, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Is anyone overly familiar with use of the $INCLUDE directive?  If you
> update a file pointed to by a $INCLUDE directive, do you still need to
> increment the serial number in the SOA record?  Intuition tells me
> yes, definitely, but I seem to have a vary hazy recollection that you
> don't need to do this.
>
> Or, I could be smoking crack...

I can't imagine you'd get away without it.  My understanding of the include
directive is that it is essentially the same as copying/pasting the contents
in.  Includes don't only fit in zones, but in views and options and anywhere
else, so they would be pretty unaware of the content.  For that reason, I
would think they are still sensitive to serial numbers for any zone changes.
-Neil