Verizon (FiOS) (Off Topic?) I have it!

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Tue Jan 24 09:36:00 EST 2006

> The person at Verizon Fios emphasized that what they meant is installing and
> running a "server class" computer at your home. I grilled her specifically
> about running a website off of a *workstation*, and she indicated to me that
> that would be perfectly OK, along with FTP, P2P, or anything else us geeks
> hold so dear.

I have a friend with FIOS, he runs a webserver on his box at home, he
had to move it to port 8080 because port 80 was blocked. This wasn't
much of a problem, but just an FYI.

He was told the business class had no such blocking.

> Also, Verizon Fios will be costing me considerably less than Comcast. Comcast
> forces you to also have cable service which I have no interest in -- bloody
> nothing worth watching anymore, and the few times I do see something worth
> watching does not justify the cost. Besides I can download them with
> BitTorrent if I must.  Fios will be much cheaper, is much faster, and much
> more permissive in how you use the service despite the "boiler plate"
> language in their service contract.

Comcast does not -force- you to get cable server. I can get Comcast
internet without TV service, but they charge you a little extra. It
actually works out cheaper to get the very basic local only stations and
internet, then to get internet alone. That is far from forcing you however.

And remember, Comcast (back in the cays of MediaOne) was much more
permissive, nearly everybody I knew ran a full blown web/mail/ftp server
on their box via their cable internet connection.

Since they also say that they won't block anything on the business class
line, expect stuff to be blocked on the consumer lines very soon.